Executive and Operational Management Experience
Established the Thabo Mbeki African Leadership Institute, July 2009
- Head-hunted to establish the Thabo Mbeki African Leadership Institute in July 2009
- TMALI launched in October 2010
- Project plan for the Thabo Mbeki Presidential Library and Museum approved
- Hosted the Annual Thabo Mbeki Africa Day Lecture 2010, 2011, 2012
Africa Day Lecture, 24 May 2012 was co-hosted with the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT), Africa Institute of South Africa (AISA), National Research Foundation (NRF), Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Department of Arts and Culture (DIRCO), StatsSA, the City of Tshwane and Ditsong Museums
- Commemorated International Women's Day 8 March 2010, 2011 and 2012
- TMALI Short Learning Programmes, July 2011, Jan 2012, July 2012
- TMALI Research Colloquium 14-15 June 2012 (papers presented to be published in 2013)
- Special Issue of International Journal on African Renaissance Studies published in June 2011
- TMALI Launch Proceedings ready for publication in 2012
Operations Manager at the United Nations Development Programme, July 2007 - April 2008
- UNDP South Africa is the coordinating agency for all UN agencies in South Africa
- Supervised Financial management; procurement; ICT and human resources
- Left UNDP in May 2008 to complete doctoral studies in France. PhD degree awarded on 6 Nov 2009
Chief of Staff at the Ministry for Agriculture and Land Affairs, Oct 2006 June 2007
- The Ministry was responsible for the Department of Land Affairs and the Department of Agriculture.
- The Ministry was also responsible for six state-owned enterprises including the Land Bank; the Agricultural Research Council (ARC); the National Agricultural Marketing Council (NAMC); Onderstepoort Biological Products (OBP); etc.
Chief Operations Officer (COO) at the Department of Land Affairs Oct 2002 - Sept 2006
- First COO appointed at the Department of Land Affairs (DLA) [now called Rural Development and Land Reform]
- Managed the Office of the Director General; coordinated the work in the department
- Managed the DLA's strategic and operational planning processes
- Managed DLA Annual Reporting to Parliament
- Supervised: Policy Unit and International Relations Desk; Gender Unit; Monitoring and Evaluation; Executive and Parliamentary Support Services; Secretariat Support Services; Internal Audit; and the Risk and Compliance Unit.
- Secretariat to MinMEC
- Secretariat to monthly Strategic Management Committee (StratCom) meetings between the DG and DDGs; and quarterly Senior Management Committee (SMC) meeting
Deputy Director at the Centre for Human Rights (CHR), Univ. of Pretoria, Feb 2001- Sept 2002
- The CHR ran projects like the Jessup International Moot Court competition; the Africa Moot Court competition; the LLM in Democratization and Human Rights in Africa; the African Journal on Human Rights; the Gender Unit; and the Southern African Student Volunteers Organization (SASVO).
- Senior Lecturer at the University of Pretoria: taught LLB course in land and property rights; and LLM course in Democratisation and Human Rights in Africa
- Supervised student interns at the United Nations World Conference against Racism, in Durban, South Africa, 2001
- Supervised students from 20 African countries on an excursion to the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) in Arusha, Tanzania, April 2002
- Acting Director when the Director went on sabbatical leave, 2001.
Deputy Director for the Legal and Policy Unit, Commission on Restitution of Land Rights, August 1999- Jan 2001
- Played an important role in the early policy formulation process on restitution of land rights in South Africa
- Supervised legal officers working on cases at the Land Claims Court
- Conceptualized the 2 Lest We Forget publications, one on Jurisprudence on Land Rights in South Africa, another on administrative settlement of claims for rights in land.
Chief Planner, Department of Land Affairs (Rural Development and Land Affairs), KwaZulu-Natal, July 1997 - July 1999
- Played a very active role in the development of the policies, systems and procedures for the implementation of the Land Reform (Labour Tenants) Act, 1996 and the Extension of Security of Tenure Act, 1997.
- Supervised land rights officers based in the Vryheid District Office responsible for the UMzinyathi and Zululand regions.
Street Law Coordinator, Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, University of KwaZulu-Natal, 1995
- Coordinated the Street Law programme in the Durban office in KwaZulu-Natal, which also served as the National Street Law Office. Street Law was concerned with teaching legal, human rights and civic education at schools, NGOs, government departments and communities.
- Co-hosted the first Youth Parliament (previously called Space Colony) for school pupils from all provinces of South Africa who debated topical human rights and political issues like abortion, amnesty for human rights violations, truth and reconciliation, etc.
Facilitator on Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), Independent Projects Trust, 1992-1996 (Part-time)
- Assisted in the running of workshops on alternative dispute resolution in KwaZulu-Natal prior to the first national elections and the first local government elections. Workshops were held for government departments, community based organizations and non-governmental organizations.